Who’s up for a comforting bowl of piping hot oatmeal, mixed with sweet raspberries and topped with a generous spoonful of peanut butter… laced with… a carcinogen called… glyphosate? Glyphosate is the active ingredient in Round-up, a chemical that acts as an herbicide. It is often sprayed on non GMO crops such as as oats, wheat, barley- especially those that are genetically engineered to withstand glyphosate- GMOs. The reason farmers use it to allow them to harvest and dry crops out more efficiently. Sounds helpful… what could be the harm?
Problem is- studies link glyphosate to cancer. In fact, the International Agency for Research on Cancer categorizes glyphosate as a probable carcinogen for humans. The most telling nugget of truth comes straight from Monsanto, the owner of Round-Up. In an attempt to right the harms of glyphosate, they will be removing the herbicide from the US consumer market by 2023. Why admitting defeat? Quite easy… in response to the thousands off lawsuits brought by people who claim they developed non-Hodgkin lymphoma from exposure.
OK, no freaking out allowed. Easy solution… only choose organic oats (like what Health Bear sources)! Rest easy and remember why oats are so good for you.
- Oats help lower LDL (bad) cholesterol.
- Oats may help reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Oats help you feel fuller longer- a great way to control daily calories
- Oatmeal may help lower blood pressure.
- Soluble fiber found in oats helps control blood sugar.
- Oats may also help reduce your risk of type 2 diabetes.
- Oats are high in beta-glucans, a kind of starch that stimulates the immune system.
- Beta-Glucans may aid in inhibiting tumors, reducing the risk of some cancer.
- Introducing oats into a child’s diet early may help reduce their risk of asthma.
- Oats are higher in protein and healthy fats, and lower in carbohydrates than most other whole grains.